• Biofeedback is the process of using instruments to help you develop the ability to identify when and where in your body you are holding the muscle tension that can contribute to your particular pain cycle.
• We use biofeedback instruments to teach stress management and relaxation techniques and to demonstrate the effects that life’s stressors have on the physical systems.
• The equipment acts like an electronic mirror. It measures your tension levels, your skin temperature, and your respiration rate. The measurements are recorded and fed back to you visually so that you can change the readings in the desired direction.
• The training helps you become more physically aware so that you will be able to take previously unrecognized information about your body and use it to modify or change your present patterns.
• With practice you will learn to catch and correct conditioned tensions and bad habit patterns, including posture, so that your body will remain more naturally relaxed throughout the day.
Biofeedback and Incontinence
• Do you ever leak urine…when you sneeze, cough, laugh or jump? Do you ever have sudden urges to urinate and sometimes are not sure you will make it to the bathroom in time? Do you ever wonder if there is help available? Ask your doctor if the Incontinence Biofeedback Program at Pacific Physical Therapy is right for you. If your physician feels this program is appropriate for you, then this may be the help you are looking for.
Other diagnosis treated successfully with biofeedback include:
• Chronic Pain
• Cardiovascular Problems
• Respiratory Problems